Joy & Courage

In his book Courage & Calling, Gordon Smith quotes Paul Tillich: "Joy is the emotional expression of the courageous Yes to one's own true being" (The Courage to Be, 1952). In looking at our vocation, we must be courageous enough to ask and answer the question, "Who am I?" In looking at our vocation, we must be courageous enough to ask and answer the question, "What do I want to be?" In looking at our vocation, we must be courageous enough to ask and answer the question, "What is keeping me from being who I really am?" In looking at our vocation, we must be courageous enough to ask and answer the question, "If I am not really being who I am, then who am I being?" In looking at our vocation, we must be courageous enough to ask and answer the question, "If I am not being me...and being someone else...then where am I finding my joy?" In looking at our vocation, we must be courageous enough to ask and answer the question, "If I am not finding joy in my vocation, what do I need to change?" In looking at our vocation, we must be courageous enough to ask and answer the question, "Am I willing to make those changes - or am I willing to lead a life that is less than fulfilling?" In looking at our vocation, we must be courageous enough to ask and answer the question, "If I make these changes, what is the worst thing that could possibly happen...and what are the positive things that will come about as a result?"

Might I be bold enough to say that with the courage of our convictions come great joy...and with joy, comes the ability to act courageously within our vocation.